Monday, May 08, 2006

Small Town Living

I'm staying with my parents right now until the end of the month while I'm waiting to move out into my own place. They live in a small, farming town here in Southern California. The house we live in is nice and is sitting on 8 acres of land. My dog, Lexi has a hay day whenever we're up there because she can run around like a mad woman and have some fun with the other dogs. There is also a doggie door installed at the house so she can come and go as she pleases. She loves that too. Last night, Gabe and I were out getting ice cream for the family and when we pulled into our neighborhood we noticed a horrible stench. I walked into the house and my mom said, "I have some bad news for you." I said, "How bad? Is this going to spoil my ice cream?" And she said, "Yes. Lexi got sprayed by a skunk." That little piece of information didn't ruin my ice cream but it certainly kept me busy for the rest of the night. My mom had closed the dog door so Lexi couldn't get back in the house so I went out to find her. When I called her she came right to me and she smelled HORRIBLE! My dog is a Boxer and their breed is called that for a reason. When they are in a fight or playing, they lead with their front paws and swat at their apponent much like a human boxer does in a fight. Lexi's front legs and face were covered in skunk juice and she was coughing and sneezing. I felt so bad for her. Gabe and I ran to the grocery store and bought 5 cans of tomato paste. We came back home, threw the dog in the tub and slathered the thick red stuff all over her. About half way through she looked like a casualty of war. That tomato paste is potent and it made my forearms break out in a rash. We got her all cleaned up and she's almost back to normal. The only two problems are she still smells a little on her paws and nose and all of the areas of her body that are suppose to be white (neck, chest, feet and muzzle) are now stained pink. She looks like an Oompa Loompa dog. I think my brother J.D. had it right when he took one look at her and said, "Lexi really does do better as an apartment dog."

3 comments:

  1. Poor Lex - I just read somewhere about what works better than tomato juice for skunksmell - If I can find it, I'll let you know - Poor pup. When I was little, my dogs got into tangles with skunks - what's worse was when they tangled with a porcupine.... That was ugly... Ah our strong-minded animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Products:
    http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/skunk-odor-smell-removal.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that tomato paste on the dog. When I first saw the pic I was afraid Lexi had gone on a violent rampage and JD was lying somewhere in a pool of his own blood...

    ReplyDelete