Monday, June 12, 2006

Sports Obsession or Nervous Tick?


As a woman, I can't help but notice that men are sometimes strange creatures. Some of my favorite people are men and I adore them but some behaviors are hard for me to wrap my mind around. I have recently been noticing an increase in one of the most mind-bogglind displays of manhood. Perhaps some of my male readers can enlighten me as to the cause of this behavior... Why do men pretend to be showcasing their athletic ability at the same time as they're talking to me? Some men shoot an imaginary basketball into an immaginary hoop. Some men swing at a golf ball and stand at attention as they watch it land on the imaginary green. Some of them even put their hand to their forehead like they're blocking the sun so they can see better. The worst offenders get into full baseball batting stance and swing away. I don't understand it. What are they doing? Are they really so obsessed with sports that they feel the need to practice their moves ALL the time, even in the middle of a conversation? Or is this some kind of nervous tick that allows men to not have to focus on the conversation at hand? Is this a man's way of not-so-discreetly saying, "I'm not paying attention to you right now so you might as well stop talking" or are they trying to say, "I think you're pretty so I'm trying to impress you by giving you a little preview of how good I am at golf." Maybe they're trying to start a conversation about something they're knowledgeable in but it seems easier for them to just say, "Hey, I know a lot abot baseball. Wanna talk about it?" rather than their chosen display of silly acrobatics. Seriously, it seems so strange to me. When they start doing that, I can hardly keep from laughing out loud and I'm worried I'm going to hurt someone's feelings one day.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! I totally know what you are talking about. I guess they are trying to look cool, kinda like air guitar. My friend, Jim, told me that they do it as a nervous thing when they like a girl. Don't guys know that girls really don't think that air anything makes you good at the real sport? And we just think the whole thing makes you look silly. Oh....ps, I saw Kent Pyne a few days ago and "V" works with Rob at Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hysterical. I had a boss who swung imaginary golf clubs all the time. Sheesh

    ReplyDelete