Monday, August 07, 2006

Tagged: I'm It

Kell tagged me to answer the following questions about books in my life... So here goes:


ONE BOOK THAT CHANGED MY LIFE: I'm a Literature major in college so this category has a vast expanse for me. I'm a devout Mormon so obviously the Bible and the Book of Mormon. It's amazing how the principles taught way back when can still apply to our lives today.



ONE BOOK THAT I'VE READ MORE THAN ONCE: "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. Hands down my favorite book. It's so poetic and poignant a story about how we all just go on even when life sucks. My aunt sent this to me when I was going through my divorce. On the inside cover she wrote, "Dear Tie, May life's journey bring you once again to the well of love from which you sprang." Beautiful words, beautiful story, beautiful book.



ONE BOOK I WOULD WANT ON A DESERT ISLAND: Coffee table books. Specifically the Time Life series. They're like a photographic history. I can stay entertained with them forever.


ONE BOOK THAT MADE ME LAUGH: Recently, "Bare Necessity" by Carol Matthews. The author's Brittish dry sense of humor cracked me up!




ONE BOOK THAT MADE ME CRY: "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls. Little Ann and Old Dan break my heart to this day. I really miss those dogs. I could cry right now.




ONE BOOK I WISH HAD BEEN WRITTEN: A book about the adavantages of waiting until 30 to get married. This should be in textbook form and taught to high school students as part of their cirriculum.




ONE BOOK I WISH HAD NEVER BEEN WRITTEN: All of the "The Cat Who..." books by Lilian Jackson Braun. STUPID! Pseudo-murder mysteries written from the point of view of a cat...kinda. I can't explain it except to say that I've weeded my way through two of them because they come so highly recommended and they totally SUCK! A complete waste of my time.


ONE BOOK I'M CURRENTLY READING: "Hawaii" by James A. Michener. My mom gave me this book and it was given to her mother by one of her aunts many years ago. With the history of the book, I loved it before I started reading it but the story inside is epich. It is a history of the Hawaiian Islands told through the lives of fictional characters. The writing is vivid and beautiful. It's a really long book but it's okay because I don't really want it to end.



ONE BOOK I'VE BEEN MEANING TO READ: "The Devil Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger. I want to read it before I see the movie. I just bought it off Amazon.com for $2.50 and I'll start it this week.




NOW TAG 5 PEOPLE: I don't think 6 people even read my blog so... whoever reads this is tagged... I know who you are!

3 comments:

  1. An excellent book list - now go read Jon Hassler! - and BTW, the author of "Devil...Prada" is from (gasp) PENNSYLVANIA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do it but I don't read anything that does not have a lot of pictures and very short articles.....last book I read was The Davinci Code.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats the book that I am currently reading...The Devil Wears Prada....!

    ReplyDelete