Saturday, February 03, 2007

Global Warming??


Global warming is the talk of all the news nowadays and I, being somewhat of an environmentalist, am kind of worried. I heard on the radio yesterday that "they" ( I don't know who "they" are) have come to a unanamous agreement that global warming is real, that it's caused 90% by humans and that even if we changed our habits now, the problem would continue to worsen over the next 100 years before it will get better. I'm a little worried because it's been really cold here lately and they say it's because the cold water running off the polar caps melting is causing colder weather here. Is San Diego going to become more like Alaska? Is the sea going to swell and swallow up my town altogether? Is my apartment going to flood one day while I'm at the office and sweep my doggie into the ocean? I know I just sound paranoid but this problem really does have an impact on my decisions in the very near future: We are hoping to buy a house here within the next year and now I don't think we should. It seems really risky because if we buy the house now when the market is really expensive and San Diego turns into a winter wonderland, our property will depreciate and I won't be able to afford to sell and move elsewhere. We'll be stuck here when California finally falls off into the ocean!!!!
On the other hand, we can't really afford to quit our jobs and start all over in the midwest right now so we have to stay. Should we continue to waste our money by paying an enormous amount of rent rather than buying just to avoid this risk? I just don't know. Gabe says we should just buy a house here because all of this will take a long time to have any real affect on us, but it's already a lot colder this year than last year.... If Nebraska's going to be a tropical paradise in 20 years, I want to get in on that action now.
I'm a very good swimmer but the Pacific Ocean is very cold. It's not realistic for me to walk around wearing my wet suit all day just in case we fall into the ocean. Those things are REALLY hot when you're not in the water. I would just carry it with me in my car everywhere just in case but the neoprene gets ruined if you mistreat it and it wouldn't keep me warm anymore. Gabe doesn't even have a wet suit. Also, I' not sure how long I could survive with me, Gabe and Lexi all floating along on my surf board. It's big but it would be crowded on a long term scale.
I'm done venting now and I'm not really that paranoid. I just added dramatic effect for the sake of a more interesting read. Don't be surprised if we move to Vegas or Phoenix though. It's been snowing there this winter anyway so maybe it won't be too hot in the summer anymore.

2 comments:

  1. It HAS to be GW....No other way to explain the wacky weather lately. We have had 6-7 days of snow this winter in an area that usually gets none.

    Your comment about the Pacific being cold reminded me of when we took the kids out to SD last year.

    They had never been to the Pacific before and had only been in the Gulf and the Carribean waters. Of course, those waters are usually in the mid 80's for water temperature and is like swimming and playing in a warm bathtub. My kids get to Coronado, see the water, rip off their shoes and socks, and go screaming down the sand and into the water. The screams were so loud you would have thought they were being eaten by sharks! They found out the hard way just how cold the Pacific really is. I lived on the Coast of Oregon for 1 1/2 years and NEVER went into the water. Nice to look at but too damn cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T - Since you are not going to post for awhile...I have a question for you. How exactly do you pronounce your name? My wife and I have different takes on it. She says it is said like "TEE-I-SINN.

    I put a more Texas twang to it and say "TEE-UH-SUNN"

    Which is correct?

    Now pull yourself away from the Fiance and get back to Blogville!

    ReplyDelete