Friday, August 24, 2007

Getting My Creative Juices Flowing

Yesterday was my first day back at school for what will be my biggest semester ever. I want to graduate in May so I'm taking 18 credits this semester in order to prepare for that. I am an English major with an empahsis on literature so all of my classes feature a great deal of reading and writing. Usually on the first day of class, the professors like to ask us for a writing sample that they have us spend 1/2 an hour on during the first day and hand it in on the spot. This helps them get an idea of our literary voice and plan their classes accordingly. In my first class, the teacher asked us to write about our relationship to the war in Iraq so I wrote about my brother who's in the Army. My second professor of the day had the funnest idea: He wrote a poem on the board with blanks in it and asked us to fill in the blanks with our own words, kind of like a Mad Lib. Here's what he put on the board:


Fanatics have their dreams........................
.................................................and the savage too
Guesses at Heaven.................................................
...................................................................................
...................................................................................
For only Posey can tell her dreams......................


Here's what I came up with:


Fanatics have their dreams, each with their own obsessions
The civilized, the blissful and the savage too
Guesses at Heaven are still just guesses
With no certainty of reward for deeds done
As an after-thought with no goodwill abounding
For only Posey can tell her dreams in times like these.


Now you guys try it. Fill in the blanks with your own poetry and show me what you come up with. Class is in session!

1 comment:

  1. Tie, you're a poet and I bet you know it! So I'll give it a try too...how's this: Fanatics have their dreams that compel the uninspired to confess and follow. Simpleton, sovereign and the savage too Guesses at Heaven. But Heaven reveals herself to none such
    alas, Her secret is too plain for these to discover.
    For only Posey can tell her dreams burn with truth, she will set her virgin wings and Heavenbound will she fly.

    Let me know how the assigment turned out.

    ReplyDelete