Friday, February 28, 2014

The Things I've Learned From My Skinny Jeans



2013 was a year of trying new things for me, not the least of which was buying my first pair of skinny jeans. I have resisted this fashion milestone for quite some time, feeling that this style wouldn't fit my body type. I had been receiving a lot of pressure from my sister and my best friend to just give them a try, and one fateful day in a thrift store dressing room, I finally did. In a life changing moment, I saw my cheeks take shape, my thighs lengthened, and my calves taking center stage for the very first time in a pair of jeans. I've bought two other pairs since, and I'm so glad I did! I've had a fashion epiphany over my skinny jeans, and I've learned a few other things as well.

It's Good to Try New Things- Why are we, as humans, so resistant to change? From now on, when I feel myself hedging about trying something new, I'm just going to ask myself, "What's the worst that could happen?" If the answer is anything close to, "The jeans won't fit me right," I'm going for it! The same goes for answers like, "I might not be good at it," or "What if others don't like it." Because there's always the flip side: What if I am good at it, and everyone loves it?

Sometimes I'm Wrong About Myself- The me of 2012 had sworn off skinny jeans as a horrible mistake. The me of 2014 has been schooled in just how wrong I can be about myself. I'm held back by insecurities all the time, and I'll bet that most of them are completely unfounded. It's not just the skinny jeans. The people who love me would probably say that I'm wrong about myself in lots of ways, and I'd have a lot more fun if I listened to them.

One New Possibility Leads to Another- Adding skinny jeans as a staple of my wardrobe has opened up other possibilities that I wouldn't have considered before. 2013 also brought me 2 pairs of above-the-knee boots, some super cute tunic tops, and some slouchy sweaters. These items just didn't mesh well with the old me and my straight leg jeans, but they feel great with my skinnies! In a general sense, being willing to make self-improvements and scary changes leaves us open to more growth and opportunity.

I'm Not as Young as I Use to Be- I'm not gonna lie, my right knee feels a little stiff after a full day in my skinny jeans, especially if I've run up and down the stairs a few dozen times in them. I'm not as young as I use to be! I'm not as brave as I was when I was 20, I have more on the line when I take a risk, and I'm painfully aware of everything I have to lose. I also understand how good it feels to succeed, how much growth takes place outside of comfort zones, and how much I need to invest in my own happiness.

But I've Still Got It- That's a picture of my actual bum in the picture above (so artfully captured by my 5 year old). Need I say more? This body and this mind and this life still have a lot to offer, If I can just be willing to put it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment